Friday, March 18, 2011

Atlanta Love

Andrew and I have been married 6 years this July. I can't believe how fast the years have flown by. One of our first dates was a one day trip to Atlanta! Yes, stupid college kids! We drove down for the day shopped like crazy, went out to eat and a Braves game then drove back to Boone. I would be exhausted if I tried this now! But the memory is amazing. Over the years we traveled to Atlanta off and on while we dated. Mostly to visit his Dad and to go to games. Then in 2005 not only did we visit to find our "new apartment" in Atlanta but we also got engaged at The Sun Dial on top of the Westin overlooking the city. It was such a perfect night. It was very late and quiet in the restaurant. I remember looking out at the city thinking how beautiful the lights were. Then once we were engaged I remember hearing the Taylor Swift song that says "the way your blue eyes shine put those Georgia stars to shame that night" always made me reminisce about our engagement.


 
Our emotions in Atlanta changed 2 weeks later. Andrew's Dad passed away after a long tough battle with esophageal cancer. We don't really talk about this time much, and as 22 year olds, newly engaged, it felt like the world had just landed on our shoulders. But we knew that God had a plan and that we would grow, not only as a couple but as individuals in many ways. Over the next 6 - 8 months we practically lived down there but put off officially moving there. The emotions always got the best of us and we couldn't do it. Andrew was accepted into a great school in the city and we decided that the time just wasn't right. Looking back I see how we changed and grew that year. We were married that July!

The day we were married I gave Andrew a note that promised to always visit the city during the home opener for the Braves. That was a tradition that he and his Dad had and one of my last memories with him was when we loaded up his pillows and took him to a game. I will always remember how wonderful the staff was to us and helped us so much. So in a few weeks we will go back, like every year, to Atlanta. We always visit his Dad's favorite Mexican restaurant, Nuevo Laredo Cantina and we always drive past the old house. We cherish so much about this town. Andrew's Dad, Wayne Kline, was an artist in the city for over 20 years and when he passed we were overwhelmed with the support that was given to us. Still to this day we will get random emails and phone calls from friends of his Dads just to chat and check in. Last summer we took Hudson to many Braves games, and for Andrew's 1st Father's Day I (Hudson) gave him "On Field Batting Practice" tickets. It was amazing. The 3 of us spent 3 hours on the field with the whole team and coaching staff. We met several players and of course Hudson was given a ball from a coach. Hudson's middle name, Turner, is in memory of the fond times Andrew & his Dad had at Turner Field. We love that city so much, for many reasons.... and can't wait to get back down there in a few weeks! But now I'm stuck trying to think of an amazing 2nd Father's Day present..... :) How do you top that?!


 


No comments:

Post a Comment