Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Polka Dots Are Our Thing

This past weekend started out beautifully. I took Friday off of work to get a lot of appointments out of the way and to pick up a quick ZPack for this annoying cold I've had. We headed down to Atlanta for the weekend while Hudson stayed at my parents house in Lincolnton. He has such a blast when he's there and plays nonstop. He loves being outside and they have a huge yard which is perfect for him.
  
We were able to visit some of our college friends while we were down there as well as all of the "fun" things like eat & shop, and of course Braves games.  Last weekend we had taken Hudson to Urgent Care (Yes, I know... again) for a Bronchial infection. They put him on Amoxicillin, thinking nothing about it... we finished our dosages and this weekend started looking bright for him to feel 100% better. Until Monday. Our poor little guy woke up sporting bright red whelps from head to toe. Yes folks, we have a Penicillin allergy! Of course I've been researching and asking millions of questions. Will this affect him forever? What will they give him when he's sick? If he's older and gets in a wreck does he need the necklace or card telling the paramedic not to give him a Penicillin shot? Questions Questions Questions....

He's now on Prednisone to clear up this bruising rash that is now more purple than red. Before I knew it was an allergy to Penicillin I immediately ran through a list of items in my mind..... Was it the red gummy fruit chew I gave him? With RED DYE? Or was it from the dried cherries we had for a snack? How could I "introduce" 2 new items in one day? Geez lady. LoL. Ok, so I took it hard on myself. But his doctor assured me that babies usually don't display a Penicillin allergy until the 2nd round of dosage is finished. *Warning to New Mommies & Mommies-To-Be watch out for your 2nd dosage to end*

Now that we're all healthy, and on our way to a fun filled weekend... I'm starting to wonder what else is he allergic to. The fear that struck me early Monday morning as we found him covered in red whelps is indescribable. I haven't had many fears with my son except for the moment he was born. He was born with his umbilical cord around his throat and the neonatal crew rushed in to assist him. After that scary moment I thought... we got through that.... we can handle anything.

Well guys.... I'm human. And freaked out to red splotchy skin?! :)



4 comments:

  1. I bet this did scare you. But glad your little man is ok. Hopefully the spots will dry up and go away soon. Glad he is ok.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I so feel your anxiety over allergies. My daughter Felicity has an egg allergy, so I know those scary hives too well and the feeling that goes along with it. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys! I haven't panicked like that in a long time. I immediately thought of your blog Jennifer and how I had read about your daughter's allergies. Hudson is super sensitive to everything from soap to milk!

    At least we have a heads up on one item :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heather... I am allergic to penicillin too. They have something the give in the place of it but I can't remember the name. As for wearing something to notify in case of being in a wreck... hmmm... that makes me wonder if I should. Never thought of that. Hope everyone is well now.

    ReplyDelete